Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for Removal of Conditions from your two year Conditional Green Card

Flat legal fee for attorney prepared Platinum Service totals $750

I will be happy to discuss legal fee payments which are available to fit your budget

I have over 35 years experience with both basic citizenship applications and with the more difficult cases involving divorce, criminal activity, abandonment of permanent residency prior to application, asylum, refugees, and the like

"Please call to discuss the details of your case with me...Cal Knickerbocker, Attorney at Law"

Questions and Answers:

Why is there a “conditional” green card and what are the “conditions”?

  • The USCIS is trying to be sure that the marriage on which a green card is based is a real one and not just for immigration purposes. They will require that you prove that the marriage was then, and still is, a valid marriage in order to remove the conditions on the card. For all other intents and purposes the conditional card has essentially the same rights and privileges as a full 10 year card. If the green card issuance was based on other than marriage other rules apply; call me for details and a free consultation

Can my conditional card be renewed?

  • No, you cannot renew it and if conditions are not removed on time then the card expires and you are out of status and subject to removal from the U.S.

When can I remove the conditions from the green card?

  • The petition to remove the conditions from a conditional green card must be filed in between the 33rd month and 36th month after the issuance date of the conditional card

What happens if I do not remove conditions

  • your green card expires and your Lawful Permanent Resident (LPF) status is revoked. You are then subject to removal from the U.S. and or deportation

Why is my Lawful Permanent Residency (LPF) conditional rather than for a full 10 years?

  • As a general rule if you received your green card based on marriage, and you had been married less than two years when you applied for the green card, your green card will be conditional and if married more than two years at issuance, then it will be a 10 year card

How do a CR-1 and IR-1 marriage visas effect whether my green card is conditional?

  • As a general rule the consulate or embassy which issues a marriage visa will issue a CR-1 marriage visa to a person married less than 2 years and an IR-1 visa to a person married more than two years before issuance. Then when you come to the U.S. using these visas they then become into conditional and 10 year green cards respectively

What if I get divorced, or my spouse dies, before the two years are up; can I then obtain a new 10 years card?

  • Yes, you will still have to prove the initial validity of the marriage as of the time of the issuance of the conditional card and will have to prove the basis for the divorce and your continuing to meet requirements of permanent residency.

If I remove the conditions and receive a new 10 year card can I lose my 10 year card before it expires in 10 years?

  • Yes, under some circumstances the USCIS will consider you to have abandoned your green card (either conditional or 10 year cards) and it can be terminated

How do I “abandon” a green card?

  • Circumstance vary from person to person but as a general overview of the rules regarding maintaining your Permanent Residency see below:

    When you become a lawful permanent resident (green card holder or LPF), you maintain permanent resident status as long as you:

    • Become a Naturalized United States Citizen; or
    • Do not commit acts, intentionally or accidently, to cause you to lose or otherwise be considered to have abandoned, your permanent resident status

    There are several ways that you can lose lawful permanent resident status

    Conditional Permanent Resident Status

    • Under the terms of Section 216 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) you may become a lawful permanent resident on a conditional basis based on marriage to a U.S citizen or other permanent resident.

    • There are other ways for a person to become a permanent resident (investment, entrepreneurship, etc.) which may also be “conditional”; call to discuss details.

    The most common way to lose your status is through acts considered to indicate your intent to Abandon your Permanent Resident Status. This can be true even if you do not intend to abandon the permanent residency and or give up your green card. You may also lose your permanent resident status by intentionally abandoning it.

    You may be found to have abandoned your status if you:

    • Move to another country, intending to live there permanently. Intent to live permanently outside the U.S. is generally indicated by absences of up to six continuous months, absences totalling six months or more, moving family and businesses out of the U.S. permanently, and other such acts. There is no fixed time which does or does not show “intent to abandon”; the USCIS will take all surrounding facts and circumstances into consideration, but an absence of 6 months, or repeated lengthy absence is very likely to raise a red flag and may cause the service to treat you as out of status and your green card abandoned and revoked.

    • Some factors surrounding an absence which may indicate that you did not “intend to abandon” your permanent residency are:

      • The reason for your trip;
      • How long you intended to be out of the United States on that trip or a series of trips;
      • Any other circumstances regarding your absence; and
      • Any events that could have contributed to you being absence for longer than originally thought, especially if they were beyond your control

      Note: If you, as a permanent resident, are going to be outside the U.S. for an extended period of time it is a very good idea to obtain a re-entry permit from USCIS before you leave, or a returning resident visa (SB-1) from the U.S. consulate while abroad; these may assist you in showing that you intended only a temporary absence.

      Note: another trap absent permanent residents often fall into is failing to file income tax returns while living outside of the United States for any period; even if you do not owe any tax. *Declaring yourself a “nonimmigrant” on your U.S. tax returns is another obvious mistake to avoid if you want to continue to be a permanent resident.


Free confidential phone consultation with me personally, Calvin Knickerbocker, Immigration Attorney. I will work with you and advise you each step of the way.

Full forms and documentation preparation.

I provide assistance in assembling personal information and documentation required for the filing of the initial USCIS forms (I-751 Parts1-7 and all required addendums).

Assistance with Translations as required. In most cases I can tell you how to get this done without cost

Assistance with Joint filings, Single/divorce filings, or post death filings.

Establishing proof and validity of your relationship as it existed at the time of the issuance of the Conditional Permanent Residency (LPF - Conditional) and up to the time of filing for removal of conditions. The USCIS does not take your word for it, you must prove that this relationship was valid and not for the purpose of immigration when entered into, and that it remained so up to the time of applying for conditions removal and for the permanent resident (LPF), 10 year, green card. Citizenship may be applied for by the spouses of US citizens 33 months (but not more than 3 years) after the issuances of the original conditional green card

  • Birth certificates
  • Individual and joint financial records assembly and review.
  • Children’s issues
  • Required Affidavits of Affirmation of relationship; format and review.

Affiant Interview preparation if required; the USCIS has complete discretion whether to require an interview with one or both of the spouses. If they do (and most often they do) I will see that you are both comfortable with, and prepared for, that interview

Assistance with required Criminal Record submissions.

With or without detention, arrest, conviction or diversion/record sealed requirements; some types of offenses will require a waiver and possibly an additional fee; we will discuss and clarify this with you before we start)

  • Alcohol or drug related issues
  • Domestic violence issue
  • Sexual abuse or offender registration issues (some types of offenses will require a waiver and possibly an additional fee; we will discuss and clarify this for you before we start)

With more than 35 years experience I can successfully handle the more difficult cases involving divorce, criminal issues, and other potentially disqualifying circumstances if needed.


My total legal fee for the removal of of 2 year Green Card Conditions $750.00

Note: Fees may be paid with any major credit card. You may enter your card information by clicking here and using Google Pay or by calling our direct Toll-Free number at 866-585-5843. We can also send you a PayPal request.

Mr. Knickerbocker writes: “ As the attorney at AmeriLawGroup who handles Removal of Conditions I am able to provide personal and professional service at a very low price by using the latest in electronic tools to make the process fast and efficient. I work directly with each client and am available by phone and email to answer questions and provide guidance through each step. There is no extra charge for this service! With over 35 years of legal experience I am able to assure success to all of my clients. I have served clients from Western Europe, Russia, Ukraine, UK, Africa, South America, Southeast Asia including the Philippines, plus many other areas. I look forward to helping you with your loved one becoming an unconditional permanent resident (LPF). Always check out any business you may deal with on the internet!

Click to see AmeriLawGroup Better Business Bureau rating

Click to see California Bar Association rating

Click to verify membership in the American Immigration Lawyers Association